Did you know that July is National Ice Cream month? There’s even a full day dedicated to celebrating this amazingly delicious foodstuff – the third Sunday in July! Well, of course we had to get in on the action, so we indulged in some delicious ice cream milkshakes…Yum!
While it’s mainly an American celebration, it’s one we quite fancied jumping on the bandwagon for. Being a holiday company and all, ice cream goes hand in hand with long hot summer days spent on the beach or by the pool.
To celebrate this year’s National Ice Cream Day we’re giving one lucky person a chance to win a fabulous ice cream maker so that you can enjoy the delicious treat all summer (and winter) long! After all, you can never have too much ice cream.
To be in with a chance of winning, simply comment at the bottom of this post, tweet us @canvasholidays or leave a post on our Facebook page describing your perfect ice cream flavour. You can be as creative with this as you want! The more imaginative, but still delicious, the better!
In celebration we scoured the internet for some ice cream facts and who knew there was so much to know?!
1. According to Nasa, ice cream is among the top three things missed by astronauts on space missions. The other two being pizza and fizzy drinks.
2. The most ice-cream scoops balanced on one cone – Dimitri Panciera from Italy balanced 85 scoops at a festival of ice-cream in Zoppè di Cadore, Italy, on 21 Jul 2013. I wonder if he dug in afterwards…
3. World record holder downs 1.8 gallons (8.2 litres) of ice cream, in six minutes! That’s just over 8 tubs of the standard size Ben and Jerry’s tubs. Yowser, just think of the brain freeze!
4. Top-selling flavors (surprise!): vanilla, with 33 percent of the market, and chocolate, with 19 percent
5. The first frozen dessert is credited to Emperor Nero of Rome. It was a mixture of snow, nectar, fruit pulp and honey.
For more fascinating ice cream facts, check out www.icecream.com/icecreaminfo. I couldn’t pick just one fact. There’s a fab infographic with everything you could possibly need to know about this delicious treat!
Remember to tell us about your dream flavour for a chance to win a rather nice Andrew James Ice Cream maker! We’ll be drawing the winner towards the end of August so you can keep that summer feeling through the autumn and winter.